3.01.2011

Outside
by Shannon Peil


He's watching so very intently
as I pull up and park
and I can't even remember what it's like
to think 'outside' is so very exciting

Because I spend all this money every month

for a place to put my stuff in
with a roof

All he wants is to climb that tree

and roll around in the leaves I raked
he wants it so bad he'll dodge between my legs to escape
and once he's out there I'll spend all evening catching him
to put him back in a place he can't wait to run away from

is this love?





This poem first appeared in Hazard Cat.

Shannon Peil lives and writes in Boulder, Colorado. His work has appeared in places like Asphodel Madness, DOGZPLOT, Madswirl, PANK, Gutter Eloquence, Red Fez, Thunderclap and a few others. His first chapbook is nearing completion, but more notably he edits for others at http://amphibi.us.

1 comment: