3.01.2011

Howie Good:
Four Poems

BORDER WAR

1

A tangle of woods,

like a sentence

with too many and’s. 
 

2


You convert your birth

month to music,

French and Italian

by turns, but so soft

that the guards

at the checkpoint,

slim, sensitive,

morbidly conscientious,

manage to hear it

as something else,

the far-off weeping

of a crowded freight train

crossing night’s long,

irregular border with hell.

 

3


The artist’s mistress,

shot behind the ear

and devoured

by sirens and dogs,

her name spelled

just like the flower’s.





WRITING LIFE

Leaves fly

like red kites.


A boy kicks

an apple

across

the street.


I can hear

his voice,

but not

his words.


The wind

thrusts

its beak

into me.





THE BUTTERFLY GARDEN OF ABSINTHE

The first time

I heard April becoming April,


I heard jewels in the mail,

futuristic apparatus, weird haunted frogs,


Bang, bang,

I heard Little Red Riding Hood say,


and above the accidental crimes of birth,

I heard schlock deities moving


to untidy local motels,

telling most roses and wild apples


dot dot dash





ETERNAL RECURRENCE OF THE SAME

1

One week it’s an uncle in Jerusalem who shatters. The next week it’s my father who calls. What can cause more harm if misused, love or hate? The question confuses me. Some nights I need to take a pill to fall asleep. A motel sign advertises cable TV and no vacancies. I go to bed still bleeding a little, like a man from a country where no one else lives.


2

He wouldn’t take off his hat. To live well, he said, you must live unseen. He had a rope around his neck and one leg over the railing. A passerby happened to notice the bank clock said 11:11. The most mysterious thing is a fact clearly stated. I inquired at the desk. The sun will shine for another six billion years. At least.


3

I stood there with an umbrella under my arm, a mournful observer. Others ran. It was what machines dream about, but covered in flames and the maps of missing countries.


4

During dinner, the trees dropped leaves in the pond. She said something about guilt and forgiveness. The orange cat that had adopted us was licking itself under the table. I nodded as if I understood. Night frost lit up the fields, a language that has no word for the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment